CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- ‘A fabulous moment’: Conservative delegates shift to more neutral position on same-sex marriage; Marijuana possession proposal passes but doesn’t make final cut, assisted suicide motion voted down
- Final House of Commons Vote on Assisted Dying Expected Tuesday; The Liberal government’s assisted dying bill is expected to be given third and final reading in the House of Commons Tuesday, after clearing report stage Monday night without any amendments approved
- Africa-Complementary medicine companies are destroying consumer protection; The consequences of this judgment are bad: companies do not have to prove claims are true. They are now effectively free to mislead if they refuse to join the ASA. For example, Christ Embassy Church, which advertised on television that the faith-healing powers of its proprietor could cure HIV/AIDS, can now claim that because it is not a member of the ASA, the ruling against it are void.
- More than 45 million trapped in modern slavery; More than 45 million men, women and children globally are trapped in modern slavery, far more than previously thought, with two-thirds in the Asia-Pacific, a study showed Tuesday.
- Outrage in multi-ethnic Malaysia as government backs Islamic law; Prime Minister Najib Razak’s government threw its support in parliament this week behind an Islamic penal code that includes amputations and stoning, shocking some of his allies and stoking fears of further strains in the multi-ethnic country.
- Saudi Arabia releases video on National TV teaching husbands how to beat their wives; The national television of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has aired a video, in which a self-styled Islamic family doctor is seen teaching men in the country how to ‘properly’ beat their wives.
2016 Ancestor’s Trail Hike – scheduled for Sunday June 26th, 2016 – along the Culham Trail starting at Erindale Park at 8:00 a.m. or join us along the trail at rendezvous times posted in Route Overview
Every Saturday, the Humanist Association of Toronto (HAT) meets to discuss a topic decided upon the previous week. These are topics of Humanist interest, from a Humanist perspective. Meet our diverse group, trade perspectives in a free and open forum and learn from others as they learn from you! Feel free to join the discussion late and come to lunch if that suits your availability better Time slot: 11 am – 1 pm every Saturday Address: 519 Church St. Community Center
- June 5th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- June18th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- June27th, Toronto: Science and Philosophy Book Club. This months selection; Split-Second Persuasion:The Ancient Art and New Science of Changing… K. Dutton
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Health Canada to propose allowing the sale of irradiated ground beef; Health Canada will propose regulatory changes to Food and Drug Regulations next month that would allow the sale of irradiated ground beef in Canada.
- The “Cell Phones Cause Cancer” Myth That Just Won’t Die; Microwaves, power lines, cell phones — cancer scares connected to electromagnetic waves have a venerable history of freaking people out. Unless you are a male lab rat, you shouldn’t sweat the latest scare just yet.
- Why Are Non-Medical Vaccine Exemptions Still Legal?
In Canada and much of the US, it’s against the law to ride in a car without wearing a seatbelt. If a police officer catches you, you’ll get a ticket, and probably have to pay a fine. There are also laws on the books that make sure parents take proper care of their kids: An Alberta couple was just found guilty of failing to provide the necessaries of life to their toddler, who died of meningitis after they treated him with horseradish smoothies and other natural remedies. So why, across Canada and in many parts of the US, can parents opt out of getting their kids vaccinated for non-medical reasons?
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
If we left it to a god to decide, our 4-year-old son, Ryan, would not exist. He would not have been conceived without modern science and fertility doctors. And if we had become pregnant on our own, he very well could have died in childbirth without the intervention of doctors and nurses, as my wife had to have an emergency c-section after a difficult attempt at childbirth that put Ryan at risk. If we left it to a god to decide, our 4-week-old, Grayson would not exist. He also would not have been conceived without modern science and an IVF procedure. And if we had become pregnant on our own that time, he would have died shortly after being born prematurely, without the intervention and constant care of doctors and nurses. Thanks to medical breakthroughs, not miracles, we have two children and get to experience all of the joy, pride, love, and everything else that comes with raising children — all of which would have been replaced with sorrow and heartache had we left it to a god to decide. We would have had no children, and like many of the religious, would have attempted to rationalize this in an attempt at comforting ourselves by saying it was god’s plan, or that everything happens for a reason.
The heartbreaking truth about Yemen’s child brides
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today