CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
“He told his examiners that he had been reading about and believed that that there had been a conspiracy involving the Illuminati, werewolves and vampires, and that there was to be a war. He indicated to us that the music he was listening to also referred to him as a ‘hero’ citing the lyrics from one of the musical bands that he had posted on his Facebook account. He reported that he had believed he was Darth Vader and that his father was on the side of evil.. . ..He admitted that he began to believe that the evil side included Barack Obama and the Nazis. He believed that the world was to end April 14 because there was a full moon that night.”
- Probiotics Are Useless, GMOs Are Fine, and Gluten Is Necessary; Over the last seven days, a roster of myth-busting nutrition studies were published showing probiotics are unnecessary, GMOs are harmless, and a gluten-free diet is a terrible idea unless you really need to be on it.
- University of Miami to establish the world’s first chair of atheism studies; The University of Miami will hire the world’s first atheist studies chair after receiving a $2.2 million donation from retired Florida businessman Louis Appignani. “I’m trying to eliminate discrimination against atheists,” Appignani told The New York Times. “So this is a step in that direction, to make atheism legitimate.”
- Islamic State claims responsibility for hacking death of doctor; The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the hacking death of a homeopathic doctor in western Bangladesh, the latest of similar killings in the country.
2016 Ancestor’s Trail Hike – scheduled for Sunday June 26th, 2016 – along the Culham Trail starting at Erindale Park at 8:00 a.m. or join us along the trail at rendezvous times posted in Route Overview
Every Saturday, the Humanist Association of Toronto (HAT) meets to discuss a topic decided upon the previous week. These are topics of Humanist interest, from a Humanist perspective. Meet our diverse group, trade perspectives in a free and open forum and learn from others as they learn from you! Feel free to join the discussion late and come to lunch if that suits your availability better Time slot: 11 am – 1 pm every Saturday Address: 519 Church St. Community Center
- May 30th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Science & Philosophy Book Club. Hosted by CFI Canada member Christine Gagnon, the goal is to provide a friendly, free-thinking environment in which to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy.
- June 5th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- June18th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- June27th, Toronto: Science and Philosophy Book Club. This months selection; Split-Second Persuasion:The Ancient Art and New Science of Changing… K. Dutton
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
‘It is a serious cultural war between two lifestyles. For women, their hair is their identity and making it short to just avoid the morality police is really heartbreaking, but in a way, it is brave.’
- Radical Approach: How Islamic State Exploits Young People; Islamic State Terrorists employ the same techniques as online sex predators to ingratiate themselves with and exploit potential youthful supporters
- Almost 150 people killed in Isis bomb attacks on Mediterranean cities; Bomb blasts killed nearly 150 people and wounded at least 200 in Jableh and Tartous on Syria’s Mediterranean coast in the government-controlled territory that hosts Russian military bases.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Now’s a Good Time to Look Up As Mars Looks Back At You With Its Red, Baleful Eye; It’s up all night and about as close as it can get to Earth.On May 30, it’ll be just a hair over 75 million km away, which as planets go is pretty close.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Christian school in Kansas threatens to expel students if they have a gay family member; The Trinity Academy reportedly asks pupils and parents to sign a binding document
- In India, Trained Parakeets Will Tell Your Future; Parrot fortune telling is a well-known form of Astrology in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today