CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- Nine years of censorship; Canadian scientists are now allowed to speak out about their work — and the government policy that had restricted communications.
- Govt displeased with anti-religion bloggers, their killers: Minister; “Bloggers should restrain from hurting religious sentiments,” the minister said. It is a criminal offence when bloggers hurt religious sentiments of the public, he added.
- Chinese province bans religion in schools; The government in the northwestern province of Gansu reiterated the officially atheistic communist government’s rules forbidding the presence of religion in public schools at all levels, saying it was protecting children.
- Egyptian president says ‘Western’ human rights don’t apply to his country
“There’s nothing remotely ‘Western’ about basic human rights like the right not to suffer torture or to be able to speak freely without fear of arrest and imprisonment. The very real security threats facing Egypt shouldn’t become an excuse for the crushing of rights and freedoms in the country.”
CFI Canada proudly presents A Talk From Dr. Ben Goldacre: Sunday May 15, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, The Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave (just south of Bloor). Ben is a best-selling author, broadcaster, campaigner, medical doctor and academic who specializes in unpicking the misuse of science and statistics by journalists, politicians, quacks, drug companies, and more.
The Studio at West Hill presents, Michael George in Concert; You are invited to join us for a special evening of music dedicated to the celebration of the right to freedom of expression. Michael George in a rare concert to raise funds for asylum seekers. May 7, 8pm at West Hill United This is a fundraising concert to benefit asylum seekers who fled their country where religious extremism threatened their lives.
2016 Ancestor’s Trail Hike – scheduled for Sunday June 26th, 2016 – along the Culham Trail starting at Erindale Park at 8:00 a.m. or join us along the trail at rendezvous times posted in Route Overview
Every Saturday, the Humanist Association of Toronto (HAT) meets to discuss a topic decided upon the previous week. These are topics of Humanist interest, from a Humanist perspective. Meet our diverse group, trade perspectives in a free and open forum and learn from others as they learn from you! Feel free to join the discussion late and come to lunch if that suits your availability better Time slot: 11 am – 1 pm every Saturday Address: 519 Church St. Community Center
- May21st, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- May 30th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Science & Philosophy Book Club. Hosted by CFI Canada member Christine Gagnon, the goal is to provide a friendly, free-thinking environment in which to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy.
- June 5th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Bono joins Nigerian Chibok girls campaign; U2 frontman Bono joined actress Lupita Nyong’o onstage to raise awareness of the 276 missing schoolgirls abducted in Nigeria two years ago.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Obama to name Stonewall Inn first national monument for gay rights; New York’s iconic Stonewall Inn, where the modern gay rights movement took root, will become the first national monument honoring the history of gays and lesbians in the U.S. under a proposal President Obama is preparing to approve.
- Belle Gibson: Australian blogger who faked cancer faces legal action; Belle Gibson gained fame in Australia after she claimed to have beaten cancer using natural remedies rather than medical intervention. She launched a successful app and cookbook, but later admitted the diagnosis was made up.
- Japanese scientists uses skin cells to restore a patient’s vision for the first time; The researchers obtained a small piece of skin from her arm (4 mm in diameter) and altered its cells, effectively reprogramming them into induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC). The Pluripotent stem cells have the ability to differentiate into almost any type of tissue within the body, which is why skin cells taken from an arm can be repurposed into retinal tissue.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Pastor who spanked women in his congregation for sexual pleasure is jailed; During the trial, the court heard how he “brainwashed” the women into accepting spankings as the “will of God”.
- Saudi Arabia gives women the right to a copy of their marriage contract; Saudi brides will now get a copy of their marriage contracts, a privilege that was previously exclusive to men in the ultra-conservative kingdom, the kingdom’s justice ministry has announced.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today