CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- Survey of Muslim Canadians rebuts lazy generalizations with hard data; Findings of Environics Institute survey reveal a community that’s not so different from other Canadians
- Turkish journalists sentenced to two years in jail for reprinting Charlie Hebdo cover; A Turkish court sentenced two journalists to two years in jail for blasphemy on Thursday, their newspaper said, after they reprinted a controversial cover from the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo above their columns last year.
There really is no other way to put this. Free thinkers in Bangladesh are being serially hacked to death in their homes. An infamous hit list appeared in 2013 naming 84 “atheist bloggers.” By the end of 2015 there had been seven such murdersacross the country, and, tragically, this past week alone claimed three more victims.
- In Bangladesh, sons follow murdered fathers’ footsteps; Something deadly and frightening is happening in Bangladesh. Gangs armed with machetes have been hunting down and killing liberal activists and outspoken critics of Islamist extremism. This month alone, killers in Bangladesh have murdered a university professor, anatheist blogger, and two gay rights activists.
- Bangladesh: two teachers jailed for insulting Islam; Invoking an arcane law from British colonial rule that makes insulting any religion a crime, a court has jailed two Hindu teachers in southern Bangladesh for making derogatory comments about Islam and the Prophet Mohammed.
- Yemeni murdered by extremists after being accused of atheism; A young man in the southern Yemeni city of Aden has reportedly been shot dead by religious extremists.
- These Bangladeshi bloggers were murdered by Islamist extremists. Here are some of their writings
If one considers Qur’an as a scientific book then, they should be able to show us at least one scientific principle that is disclosed in the Qur’an without using any mumbo jumbo words and hocus pocus boring tricks of difficulty with confusing translation of the Qur’an… Moreover, if a perfect book written by a perfect God having intention to reveal a scientific idea, it should not have been so vague and metaphoric, but accurate and scientific enough that it can be put in a physics /chemistry/biology textbook without the need of any change. Not a single verse in the Holy Books contain even one scientific term, like atom, electron, cloning, theory of relativity, uncertainty principle etc.
CFI Canada proudly presents A Talk From Dr. Ben Goldacre: Sunday May 15, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, The Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave (just south of Bloor). Ben is a best-selling author, broadcaster, campaigner, medical doctor and academic who specializes in unpicking the misuse of science and statistics by journalists, politicians, quacks, drug companies, and more.
The Studio at West Hill presents, Michael George in Concert; You are invited to join us for a special evening of music dedicated to the celebration of the right to freedom of expression. Michael George in a rare concert to raise funds for asylum seekers. May 7, 8pm at West Hill United This is a fundraising concert to benefit asylum seekers who fled their country where religious extremism threatened their lives.
- May 1st, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- May21st, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- May 30th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Science & Philosophy Book Club. Hosted by CFI Canada member Christine Gagnon, the goal is to provide a friendly, free-thinking environment in which to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy.
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Why so many Iranians have come to hate the hijab; Over the years the state crackdown on women’s dress has become more of a show to placate the country’s hardline base.
- Tennessee governor signs bill allowing refusal of mental health care for LGBT people; Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam today signed a bill allowing medical professionals to refuse mental health services to LGBT patients. This follows weeks of outreach and statements urging him to veto by GLAAD, LGBT organizations, business leaders, and leaders of the country music industry.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- What we can learn from the death of Ezekiel Stephan; The meningitis death of a 19-month-old boy who suffered for weeks while his parents treated him with home remedies is calling attention to the responsibilities of those who know about child abuse or neglect, but don’t report it.
- Transgender child’s puberty-blocking drug triggers B.C. Supreme Court fight; Father launched legal action to stop 11-year-old from taking drug to stop onset of puberty
- ‘Only good at cleansing your wallet’: The truth about detox; No single food or drink can increase the rate at which we eliminate nasty stuff from the body. More to the point, it’s not even necessary.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- San Diego priest who pleaded guilty to sexual battery finds new home at Oklahoma parish; Father Jose Alexis Davila was convicted of inappropriately touching a 19-year-old woman in San Diego in 2011. Like most priests who have been caught or convicted of sex acts, Davila went to another church. The problem, however, is no one at the church was told about his crimes.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today