CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
She was just 10-years-old the first time her parents tried to sell her as a child bride. She turned to music and began recording raps protesting against child marriage. In 2014, she uploaded a YouTube video called “Brides for Sale” which shows her protesting the Afghan practice of selling child brides She earned a full scholarship to study music in the US, and is now an activist, as well as Afghanistan’s youngest female rapper.
- In a letter to the superintendent of the Abbotsford School District during spring break, the BC Humanist Association (BCHA) called for the distribution of Gideon Bibles and other religious materials in public schools be stopped. The BCHA calls the practice unconstitutional and in violation of the BC School Act. The BCHA has requested that if the Superintendent will not end the distribution of Gideon Bibles that he also permit the distribution of Godless Comics. The comics provide arguments for why some people don’t believe in God.
- Islamists end protest as govt assures no change in blasphemy
(Mar 30) Pakistan government today promised not to amend the countrys controversial blasphemy laws to end a major stand-off with thousands of Islamists who had besieged the capital city for four days, demanding “martyrdom” for the assassin of Punjabs liberal governor Salman Taseer. According to the seven-point agreement between officials and protesters, the government assured the protesters that blasphemy laws will not be amended, a key demand of the supporters of Mumtaz Qadri, who was executed in late February, five-years after he assassinated Taseer over his calls to amend the blasphemy laws.
- ISIS’ hunt for nukes looms over security summit; Mounting fears that terrorist groups such as ISIS are pursuing nuclear weapons are looming over President Barack Obama’s Nuclear Security Summit, with a session devoted exclusively to the organization on the final day of meetings on Friday
- April 3rd, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- April 16th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- April 25th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Science & Philosophy Book Club. Hosted by CFI Canada member Christine Gagnon, the goal is to provide a friendly, free-thinking environment in which to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy. This month’s selection: Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Patients could be denied service based on religion; A House bill that would allow mental health counselors throughout the state of Tennessee to deny services to someone because of conflicting religious beliefs has the Tennessee Equality Project up in arms
- Sanctions, western misunderstanding and religion: 100 Iranians share their views
We are living in a region surrounded by terror groups who threaten us every day – much more frequently than they threaten developed countries.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Swiss to recognise homeopathy as legitimate medicine; Homeopathy, holistic medicine, herbal medicine, acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine will acquire the same status as conventional medicine by May 2017.
- Utah’s Pseudoscientific Anti-Abortion Law Could Actually Kill Women; A law will require anesthesia for fetuses when performing an abortion after 20 weeks. It’s dangerous and based on total pseudoscience
- Arctic Sea Ice Reaches Another Scary Record; The North Pole’s ice is disappearing as we watch: This year, the Arctic sea ice had the lowest winter maximum extent on record.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today