CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
For this image, they’re still in jail. And performing manual labor as an added punishment.
- Saudi Arabia sentences a man to 10 years in prison and 2,000 lashes for expressing his atheism on Twitter; In 2014 the oil-rich kingdom, under the late Saudi King Abdullah, introduced a series of new laws which defined atheists as terrorists
- Top Pakistani religious body rules women’s protection law ‘un-Islamic’
A powerful Pakistani religious body that advises the government on the compatibility of laws with Islam has declared a new law that criminalizes violence against women to be “un-Islamic.” The Women’s Protection Act, passed by Pakistan’s largest province of Punjab, gives unprecedented legal protection to women from domestic, psychological and sexual violence. It also calls for the creation of a toll-free abuse reporting hot line and the establishment of women’s shelters. But since its passage in the Punjab assembly, many conservative clerics and religious leaders have denounced the new law as being in conflict with the Muslim holy book, the Koran, as well as Pakistan’s constitution. “The whole law is wrong,” Muhammad Khan Sherani, the head of the Council of Islamic Ideology said at a news conference, citing verses from the Koran to point out that the law was “un-Islamic.”
- Blasphemy Laws Invoked For All Kinds Of ‘Crimes’ All Over The World; Egypt,Iran,Pakistan, and Russia
- No jail for mum and midwife found guilty of female genital mutilation of young girls; The first people to be found guilty by a jury of female genital mutilation in Australia have escaped a prison sentence and referred for a home detention assessment.
- Climate change: Ontario pledges $13M to help indigenous communities; The province is investing $13 million in two initiatives to help indigenous communities address climate change.
- Transpod’s dream: Hyperloop high-speed travel between cities; Toronto startup aims to have commercial concept by 2020 for Hyperloop travel proposed by Elon Musk
What’s Behind it All: Saturday March 19th 7-9pm with Lawrence Krauss, Stephen C Meyer and Denis O. Lamoreux . This event is presented by Wycliffe College: Please visit their Event Page or visit this link to purchase tickets
- March 19th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- April 3rd, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Dog-sized dinosaur described as ‘savage predator’ uncovered in northwestern Alberta; A new species of dinosaur about the size of a dog and possessing a lethal claw has been discovered in northwestern Alberta by an Australian paleontologist.
- Humans Interbred With Hominins on Multiple Occasions, Study Finds
The ancestors of modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and another extinct line of humans known as the Denisovans at least four times in the course of prehistory, according to an analysis of global genomes published on Thursday in the journal Science.
“All we can say is that we think that Pluto has an ocean and we think that this ocean has survived to the present day. It’s the kind of ocean that is deep inside the interior of Pluto, in total darkness. But, it would lie between a floating water ice shell and the rocky interior, so it would be in contact with rock. There would be a modest amount of heat leaking out. You certainly couldn’t rule it out, but anything about life on Pluto is simply speculation”
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- A List of All the Republican Presidential Candidates Who Thought God Wanted Them to Run for Office; God loves playing practical jokes with politicians
Worshipers carry an image of the folk saint known in Mexico as “Santa Muerte” during a procession at Holy Week in Mexico City
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today