CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
As should be apparent to anyone who has been following the news for the past year, some Catholic schools’ boards, trustees, teachers and advising clergy have a record of discriminatory, socially regressive efforts to hinder advances made in the interest of student safety and learning. In Alberta there’s Calgary’s Bishop Fred Henry (schools’ gay-straight alliances are “anti-Catholic” and “totalitarian”) and Catholic opposition to the (cancer preventing!) HPV vaccine being given in school. And in Ontario there was opposition from Catholic leaders to the much-needed, recently updated sex-education curriculum.
- Man fights to wear fox hat in driver’s license photo; He wants to warn others to stick up for their rights no matter what it takes
- The country where you have to dodge the religious police to fall in love
Saudi Arabia goes to notorious lengths to prevent unsanctioned romance. So citizens of this conservative kingdom are increasingly turning to social-media networks to pursue relationships and plan forbidden rendezvous
For one, many of these pills don’t work. Study after study has demonstrated that favorites like multivitamins don’t actually improve outcomes on a number of health measures, from staving off cognitive decline to preventing cardiovascular disease and cancer. The health benefits of probiotics are wildly exaggerated, and takingantioxidants like beta carotene and vitamin E might even kill you faster.
What’s Behind it All: Saturday March 19th 7-9pm with Lawrence Krauss, Stephen C Meyer and Denis O. Lamoreux . This event is presented by Wycliffe College: Please visit their Event Page or visit this link to purchase tickets
- March 19th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- April 3rd, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Two women release extraordinary footage of what life is really like living under Isis; ‘They execute with bullets, desecrate the body, decapitate it, stick the head on a spike and put it on display at the roundabout’
- ISIS lures with video game themes; The Islamic State knows that disaffected young people who love playing the gunman in “Grand Theft Auto” may take interest in a real brotherhood that promises to bring the world on the screen to life.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Meet Bruno, the ExoMars rover due for blast off in 2018; The BBC has a look at the European Space Agency rover that will explore the red planet and drill into the surface to look for signs of life.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Children of God sex cult survivors come out of the shadows; After decades of silence, 2 Ottawa residents recount tales of abuse, exploitation, debauchery
- Mother Teresa to become a saint on September 4
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today