CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- Red Deer man refuses to remove Oilers cap for driver’s licence photo; A Red Deer, Alta., man says he’s prepared to go all the way to the Supreme Court in his fight to wear his Edmonton Oilers cap in his driver’s licence photo.
- Canadian names reportedly found in trove of Islamic State ID files; A trove of documents turned over to European news outlets is reported to list the names of at least half a dozen Canadians among thousands of foreigners who have joined the Islamic State terrorist group.
- Toddler died from meningitis after anti-vaxx parents treated him with maple syrup instead of medicine
Two Mormon parents who own a nutritional supplement company are accused of letting their toddler son die from meningitis because they tried to treat him with home remedies instead of medicine. Prosecutors in Alberta, Canada, say the couple did not call an ambulance until the boy stopped breathing and instead fed him supplements with an eye dropper and lay down with him.
What’s Behind it All: Saturday March 19th 7-9pm with Lawrence Krauss, Stephen C Meyer and Denis O. Lamoreux . This event is presented by Wycliffe College: Please visit their Event Page or visit this link to purchase tickets
- March 19th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- April 3rd, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
The special U.N. investigator on freedom of religion or belief is calling for the universal repeal of blasphemy laws, saying they restrict freedom of expression and promote hatred of and intolerance toward minority religions.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
The White House says it will continue the work of the former Conservative government on “short-lived climate pollutants” as it takes over the two-year chair of the Arctic Council from Canada. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Washington this week for a state visit, where he and President Barack Obama are expected to announce new measures to combat short-lived pollutants.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Star Wars Church Opens in Spokane, Washington; Two brothers have opened a new kind of church in Spokane, Washington known as the Jedi Alliance.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today