CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- Catholics could be denied last rites, funerals if they undergo doctor-assisted suicide: Canadian bishop
Catholics who consider undergoing doctor-assisted suicide must realize the act is a “morally great evil” and could mean they will be denied last rites, says a leading Canadian bishop. The Church might also refuse to conduct a funeral when families strongly support and champion their loved one’s assisted-death decision, said Archbishop Terrence Prendergast of Ottawa
A diluted industrial bleach mixture — touted by an online church as a miracle cure for everything from cancer to HIV/AIDS and autism — is being promoted and sold in Canada, despite Health Canada warnings it is unsafe for human consumption
- Ontario boosts access for trans people seeking gender confirmation surgery; There are potentially more than 800 health-care professionals across the province who can now assess patients for sex-reassignment surgery, a change Ontario adopted March 1 to trim the more than two-year wait list for referral.
- Pakistani lawyers’ group behind spike in blasphemy cases; A little-known alliance of hundreds of lawyers in Pakistan is behind the rise in prosecutions for blasphemy, a crime punishable by death that goes to the heart of an ideological clash between reformers and religious conservatives.
- Bangladesh may drop Islam as country’s official religion following attacks on minorities
Islam could be dropped as Bangladesh’s official religion following a number of attacks in the country against people of other faiths. Christians, Hindus and Muslim minority Shiites have recently faced attacks that are believed to have been carried out by Islamic extremists.
- Indonesia Is Preparing Its Own LGBT “Propaganda” Ban; Lawmakers pledged to begin work after the country’s historically moderate Islamic organization declared that “LGBT activities should be prohibited and categorized as crimes.”
- From IRA to Islamists, former radicals unite to become a force for peace; Once in groups ranging from US white supremacists to Irish nationalists to European Islamists, these ex-extremists have formed a network to support each other as they try to help people avoid the errors they made.
- March 10, Toronto: CFIC T.O.- Countering Pseudoscience Discussion. On the Second Thursday of Every Month at 7:00pm this group will discuss topical pseudoscience in the community and ways to counter it!
- March 19th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- March 24, Toronto: CFI Toronto: Counterapologetics. The Counterapologetics group will discuss options for future meetings….also get ready for Aron Ra April 7th
- April 3rd, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
A Russian man has allegedly been booked for posting a message online in which he denies the existence of God. Viktor Krasnov from Stavropol was arrested under Russia’s anti-blasphemy law which came into effect after punk-rock group Pussy Riot’s performance at a Moscow cathedral in 2013 during which they stoked a controversy by calling on the Virgin Mary to “drive (Vladimir) Putin away”.
- Pakistan bomb: Fourteen killed in Qadri ‘revenge’ attack; At least 14 people have been killed in a Pakistan bombing which militants say was in revenge for the execution of a policeman turned assassin.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Ghost-like ‘Casper’ octopod discovered; Scientists say a translucent, “ghost-like” octopod discovered in ocean depths near Hawaii is “almost certainly” a new species.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Big kerfuffle on Amazon over the Book of Mormon; What’s happening is a culture war, or rather a war between Mormons and everyone else
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today