CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
- Canada will feel climate extremes if emissions don’t change: Scientists; Canada is a land of extremes, from car-freezing cold to crop-searing heat and drenching rains to drought. But you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.
- In branding of babies, a battle between tradition and modernity; In the last 3 months, at least 7 infants have had to be taken to hospital after being subjected to homespun remedies, including branding by hot iron nails or glass bangles by traditional healers.
While a 15-day-old baby girl in Jharigaon block died in January this year after being branded with a hot bangle, an 8-month-old boy in LWE-affected Raighar block succumbed to septicaemia last week after his father applied the juice from the seed of the wild cashew apple, hoping it would heal his pneumonia and asthma.
- Fighting Modern-Day Witch Hunts in India’s Remote Northeast; Even as India modernizes, witchcraft accusations are common, leading to the murders of over 2,000 people, mostly women, in the last 15 years. One woman in Assam State in the country’s northeast is confronting accusers and demanding government action.
- Saudi man gets 10 years, 2,000 lashes over atheist tweets; A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a man to 10 years in prison and 2,000 lashes for expressing his atheism in hundreds of Twitter posts.
- Coalition of 400 companies fight Georgia’s proposed ‘religious liberty’ bill
A coalition of more than 400 companies is openly opposing a Georgia “religious liberty” bill that is rapidly heading toward passage, with at least one major company already leaving the state over the proposal. The proposed law would allow both individuals and organizations to refuse to conduct business with or otherwise discriminate against anyone whose marriage they find counters their religious beliefs. It also protects individuals from existing nondiscrimination laws in Atlanta and elsewhere.
- March 6th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- March 19th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Jewish Woman Sues El Al After Being Pressured To Move To Accommodate Ultra Orthodox Man; An 81-year-old woman has filed a discrimination lawsuit against Israeli airline El Al after she was allegedly forced to move seats after an Ultra-Orthodox man complained about having to sit next to a woman.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- How Leonardo DiCaprio became one of the world’s top climate change champions; DiCaprio used his acceptance speech for best actor to urge a global audience to reject the “politics of greed”, and support leaders willing to take action against climate change.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Pastor who burned woman to death and tried to kill five others challenges death sentence; The Christian pastor poured petrol on five other members of his congregation.
- Jehovah’s Witnesses please read
Why did I leave? I was ashamed to be called a Jehovah’s Witness. After I found out the depth of the deception that I had been under for so many years I couldn’t bear to be known as one for another minute.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today