CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
CFI Canada is proud to work with the Mukto Mona (Bangladeshi Freethinking) website to present the first Avijit Roy Day in Honour of Murdered Atheist writers, publishers and activists. February 26, 2016 marks the passing of one year since the murder of Avijit Roy and the brutal injury of Rafida Ahmed
Time: 7.00 PM to 9.00 PM
Venue: Albert Campbell Auditorium (Toronto Public Library)
Address: 496 Birchmount Road, Toronto, ON, M1K 1N8
According to a provision added to the Education Act in the 1980s, any student qualified to attend a public high school cannot be required to take religious courses. Public boards accept all students. But some Catholic schools are finding loopholes and making it more difficult or outright denying exemptions, earlier complaints to school boards indicate.
1.Opening prayer in the legislature.
2. Christmas messages delivered by Premier Brad Wall on behalf of the Saskatchewan Party that identify Christianity as superior to other beliefs and non-belief.
- Fluoride cessation in Calgary negatively impacts children’s dental health; A new study comparing schoolchildren in Alberta found that fluoride cessation in Calgary has had a negative impact on children’s dental health, adding to the ongoing debate over fluoridation.
- Iranian Metal Band ‘Confess’ Jailed and Facing Execution for Blasphemy
The full list of charges brought against against the group include blasphemy; advertising against the system; forming and running an illegal band and record label “in the satanic metal & rock music style”; writing anti-religious, atheist, political and anarchistic lyrics; and conducting interviews with “forbidden” foreign radio stations.
- Aid worker who rescued a boy from starvation reveals how she is working to save Nigeria’s ‘witch children’
An aid worker whose rescue of an emaciated two-year-old boy made headlines around the world has spoken about how she gave up everything in Denmark to help “the witch children of Nigeria”.
Free Will: What does it mean? Does it exist? What difference does it make? Join Jerry Coyne for this informal small group discussion – attendance is limited to 30 people.
- Feb 20th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. – Cafe Skeptique at Free Times Cafe. A discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! For the monthly topic please check at: meetup.com
- February 26, Ottawa; Biologist and best-selling author Jerry Coyne explains why any attempt to make religion compatible with science is doomed to fail. (7:30 pm Centrepointe Chamber 101 Centrepointe Dr. Ottawa)
- Feb 29th, Toronto; CFIC T.O. – Science & Philosophy Book Club. Febuary’s book selection: Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel
- March 6th, Toronto: CFIC T.O. Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup. CFIC Toronto Atheists & Friends Sunday Meetup is a fun discussion group focusing on a range of topics within the realm of Atheism. They’re open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in!
- CFI Ottawa Living without Religion; This support group meets on the 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30 pm, at the Fox and Feather Pub
- CFI Ottawa UnSermon; Sunday afternoons (12:30 pm), meet and share your ideas with Atheists, Freethinkers, and Humanists from the Ottawa area.
- CFI Calgary Skeptics in The Pub: This group meets on the first Tuesday of every month. Join us for drinks, discussion, and debate about all science and skeptical topics
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
Did you know the best place to find out about CFI Calgary events is on Meetup.com? It’s free to join and you will never miss hearing about a local Calgary event. Join over 1000 Calgarians who use Meetup to hear about, RSVP and comment on our events.
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- ‘Muslim-Free Gun Range’ In Oktaha Targeted In Lawsuit By CAIR, ACLU; The lawsuit was filed on behalf of U.S. Army Reservist Raja’ee Fatihah, who says he was denied service at the facility because of his faith.
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- The evidence shows that chiropractors do more harm than good; In several hundred cases patients have been seriously and often permanently damaged
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- Atheism older than Christianity or Islam, but Romans erased it from history, new study finds; “Ancient atheism” was effectively written out of history when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire after the reign of Constantine in the early fourth century, heralding a new era of state-imposed belief
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Do whatever it takes to avoid fooling yourself into thinking something is true that is not, or that something is not true that is.- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today