CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
Kamala was 11 when she first started her period and she remembers being terrified when she first slept outside. The shed is small, barely big enough for her to lie down and sometimes she shares it with 2 or 3 or more girls and so for most of the night they squat. Kamala believes that if she enters the house while she’s menstruating, the people and animals will get sick. The gods will be angry and she’ll bring a curse onto the house. She’s also been told her hands will curl up and become deformed.
- Tanzania criticises film documenting attacks on albinos for witchcraft; “The Boy from Geita” follows the story of an albino child attacked for his body parts, which are highly prized by witch doctors, and the help he got from a Canada-registered charity, Under the Same Sun, which advocates for people with albinism.
- Pakistan’s top religious body has said women are not required to cover their faces, hands or feet under Islamic sharia law, a rare judgment from the conservative council of clerics seen as “encouraging” by rights activists.
- 6 year old Infants in Irish schools taught that ‘Mary says ‘YES’!
The vast majority of publicly funded National schools in Ireland are controlled by the Catholic church and atheist/secular families have no choice but to send their children to these schools. Many atheist/secular families do not opt their children out of religion classes in these schools because they are worried that their children will feel isolated and different. Other parents don’t opt their children out because they see no point as religion is integrated into all subject under the curriculum anyway.
Dying With Dignity Canada is the national Canadian organization fighting for access to physician assisted dying. They are mounting an active campaign to ensure the wise and just legislation passed by the Supreme Court is translated into universal access to PAD for all Canadians who face a terrible end but want a peaceful death. Find out more about DWD Canada, or volunteer or donate at http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca
“they helped organise the most consequential lie in human history, and kept that lie going past the point where we can protect the poles, prevent the acidification of the oceans, or slow sea level rise enough to save the most vulnerable regions and cultures”
- Zambia prepares for national prayer day to save currency ; Zambia will hold a day of prayer and fasting on Sunday, with bars shut and football matches cancelled, to seek divine help over the country’s currency collapse and dire economic woes.
- Oct 17th, Toronto: (Every third Saturday of the month) Come one, come all to CFI Ontario’s Cafe Skeptique, a fun and fascinating discussion group that focuses on a range of topics within the realm of skepticism such as pseudo-science, alternative medicine, conspiracy theories, etc. It’s open to the public and everyone is welcome to join in! See you all at Free Times Cafe, 320 College St. just west of Spadina Ave
- October 19,Toronto: CFIC T.O. SOS Secular Organization for Sobriety meeting. Meet other local people who suffer from alcoholism and other addiction problems (ex: gambling, drug addiction, etc). Gather for support, companionship, and advice
- October 23, 2015 7:30 pm; Richard Carrier, visits Toronto and will speak on a topic related to his books Sense & Goodness Without God and On The Historicity of Jesus. This event will take place at OISE’s Auditorium. Get your tickets now at our CFIC Events Page.
- October 26th, Toronto: Every last Monday of the month, everyone is welcome to attend the Science & Philosophy Book Club, where we provide a friendly, free-thinking environment to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy. This month we discuss “Faith Versus Fact: Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible” by Jerry Coyne
- October 29 @ 7:30pm, Toronto. Wanda Morris Speaker Event, CFIC Office, 55 Eglinton Ave E, Suite 307; Wanda is the CEO of Dying With Dignity Canada and she will explain to our CFIC community why those in the Atheist/secular/humanist movement should be particularly concerned about this issue.
- Nov. 9th, Toronto: Every second Monday, CFIC T.O. – Living Without Religion– The group discusses past and present religious issues and looks at a positive life free of guilt, fear and shame. While the group is still dedicated to dealing with problems and issues revolving around religion, it is also a place for those interested in exploring larger issues in a non-judgmental welcoming atmosphere.
- Nov.13th, Toronto: (second Friday of each month), CFIC T.O. : Board Games Night! Join us for an evening of relaxing and thinking fun as we mostly play classic and strategy board games, and partake in trivia. Sometimes even charades, jai alai, Octopush – whatever strikes our fancy. Feel free to bring your own games to share. You could even just come and hang out on the comfy-chairs with like-minded folks for a little more conversation and a little less action. –
- Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
- November 23, Halifax, Carl Sagan Day Dinner, 5pm, Darrell’s Restaurant
- November 25-27: Canadian Science Policy Centre Conference
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
- Churches condemned and torn down in Indonesia’s Aceh following religious violence; Authorities in Indonesia’s conservative Aceh province have begun tearing down several Christian churches after hardline Muslims demanded their closure citing a lack of building permits and religious violence.
“Islam has a particularly bad problem with its treatment of women, gays, and apostates. To ignore this contributes to the problem and betrays those moderate Muslims who are themselves trying to deal with such religiously motivated bigotry.”
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
“If a family asks how to prevent allergy in their children, our current advice is to introduce the allergenic foods at four to six months of age.”
Weather is not as objective an occurrence as it might seem. People’s perceptions of what makes weather extreme are influenced by where they live, their income, as well as their political views, a new study finds.
“It doesn’t reduce pain scores a whole lot more than a placebo does. And a placebo has exactly zero side effects – that’s not true with acetaminophen,” he says. “I think if it were to be brought to market today, acetaminophen would not be approved” by government regulators.
The findings call into question the untold millions that have been spent on research that tries to get to the bottom of why “short” sleepers only get about 6 hours of sleep a night and the idea that lack of sleep may be a big reason why obesity, mood disorders, and other physical and mental ailments have surged in recent decades.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
They call themselves the Church of the Sword, and in lieu of worshipping a higher being, the five-year-old institution preaches self-ownership and self-defense. Its hymnals are called “jams,” it lets followers keep several other faiths, and its customs—like the Ritual of Combat, in which service-goers duel with each other with fake swords to symbolize the defense of personal opinions—may seem more like eccentric social club activities than sacred rituals.
Karla’s Atheist Breast Cancer Support Facebook group is now available. It’s private so you have to ask to join. Say you are an atheist with breast cancer and Karla will approve your request.
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today