2015/07/24 CFI Critical Links
CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
Secular individuals have to build their own communities. Religions come equipped with covenantal rituals that bind people together, sacred practices that are beyond individual choice. Secular people have to choose their own communities and come up with their own practices to make them meaningful.
- Richard Dawkins Responds to $58 Million Lawsuit from Man Who Says the Scientist Called Him Stupid– Dawkins is being sued for $58 million for a disparaging remark regarding creationists; man thinks the comment was directed solely at him
- Guatemalan Humanists resist bill that would force religion into all schools; “Education must not be a tool for religious recruitment.”
- Fear Of U.S. Marriage Equality Exported To Africa
In countries like Uganda, Nigeria, and Kenya, same-sex couples and LGBTQI people aren’t fighting for the right to get married, they’re fighting for the right to simply exist; to not be sentenced to life in prison if a neighbor outs them to the authorities. And they’re facing a well-funded, and sophisticated anti-LGBTQI operation heavily influenced by the U.S. Christian Right.
- Help the Yazidi women and girls kidnapped by ISIS (online petition)
- Is religion doing enough to root out abuse? (Article from the BBC)
- High up on a Pakistani mountain, a success story for moderate Islam
Karimabad is an example of what’s possible in rural Pakistan when residents accept support from international charities and stand firm against the threats posed by militancy.
According to the Satanic Temple, the 1-ton, nearly 9-foot-tall bronze idol will be unveiled only in Detroit. Ultimately, the group hopes to have it placed permanently next to a sculpture of the Ten Commandments monument now in place near a state courthouse in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, or outside Arkansas’ Statehouse in Little Rock, where a Ten Commandments monument also is planned.
- ‘Disgusting’ FGM campaign wins prestigious advertising awards at Cannes; A heavily criticized advertising campaign raising awareness about female genital mutilation has won Cannes Lion industry awards
“The debate is over and the time for action is now. This is bigger than any movie, this is the challenge of our time. And it is our responsibility to leave this world a better place than we found it, but right now we are failing future generations. This year alone we will dump 40bn tonnes of carbon emissions into our atmosphere. The World Health Organization says that air pollution causes over 7 million premature deaths every year and all over the world we can see flooding, monster storms, droughts and wild-fires that are completely out of control.”
- July 27th, Toronto: Every last Monday of the month, everyone is welcome to attend the Science & Philosophy Book Club, where we provide a friendly, free-thinking environment to discuss books that inspire rewarding conversation on subjects related to science and philosophy. Next up for cordial confabulation is Bertrand Russell’s The Conquest of Happiness.
- July 27th, Okanagan – Secular Social. Now every second and fourth Monday of the month! Come to the pub and hang out with other skeptics and freethinkers. Mission Tap House and Grill, 3110 Lakeshore Rd., Kelowna. If you don’t recognize anyone, look for the table with the CFI sign.
- August 2-4: CFI Canada has begun plans to greet colleagues from CFI China!
- September 19 & 20: River City Reasonfest in Manitoba October 17-18: Society of Edmonton Atheists is hosting a secular conference
- November 25-27: Canadian Science Policy Centre Conference
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
Islam is against homosexuality. My father made me study Sharia law for six years because he wanted me to be a religious man like him. There is a hadith [an ethical guideline thought to be a saying of the prophet] that instructs gay men to be thrown off a cliff and then it’s up to a judge or the Caliph to decide if they should be burned or stoned to death.
Asia Bibi has been on death row since 2010 after being convicted of blasphemy for insulting the prophet Muhammad during a row over drinking water
Science, Medicine, and Ethics News
- Rise in Autism May Be Due to Semantics, Study Finds; two-thirds of the increase could be due to reclassification
- Scientists Are Hoarding Data And It’s Ruining Medical Research
Conducting a trial, and then refusing to let anyone see the data, is like claiming you’ve flown a spaceship to Pluto, but refusing to let anyone see the photos.
Not only should the public question the authenticity of these images, he says, but it should also reconsider basic teachings such as whether the Earth is round or rotates at all.
- The Campaign of Deception Against Planned Parenthood. (Editorial from The New York Times)
The Center for Medical Progress video campaign is a dishonest attempt to make legal, voluntary and potentially lifesaving tissue donations appear nefarious and illegal. Lawmakers responding by promoting their own anti-choice agenda are rewarding deception and putting women’s health and their constitutionally protected rights at risk.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition/Religion
- French Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Girl Claims Abuse by Catholic Priest Turned Him Into Pedophile; Sues Vatican for $54K
An elderly French man who has been convinced of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl has said that sex abuse he suffered as a child at the hands of a Roman Catholic priest turned him into a pedophile
- Health official embezzles over $500,000 for ‘psychic palm reader’
- Buyers Of Convicted Liar Kevin Trudeau’s Weight Loss Book May Finally Be Getting Refunds
Trudeau is believed to have amassed nearly half a billion dollars before his criminal conviction. Much of his money was reportedly been diverted to banks in Switzerland and the Caribbean.
- Why you can’t watch Scientology documentary Going Clear in the UK; Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the law of libel
- Inside the world of Mormon porn; eroticizing the religious to undermine the moral power of guilt and shame
- Cult Information — Research Cults
Search for information about (religious) cults, cult-like organizations, and cults experts, — as well as paranormal-, New Age, and pseudoscientific claims — across 260+ websites, blogs and forums dedicated to cult research, spiritual abuse information, ex-cult counseling & support
Critical Links is published every Tuesday And Friday
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today
If you have a contribution to the Critical Links E-Newsletter please send us your tip firstname.lastname@example.org