Critical Links 2015/07/10 CFIC News and Updates
CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
Faith-based bigotry and oppression has seen a violent and terrible resurgence in 2015 – CFIC is taking a lead in condemning that violence and will continue to be a voice for reason and change.
Please join today! CFIC provides a voice for Canada’s secular, atheist, agnostic, free-thinker, humanist community – but we need paid-up members to prove that the non-believer community is growing and must be heard.
Events, News and Updates
- Get a CFIC Ballcap! We have a limited quantity of ballcaps for sale. With summer vacations coming up, they make a terrific way to keep the sun off and include a bit of skepticism in your travels! For more details email: email@example.com
July 20: Okanagan Branch Hosts How Does the Creative Process Work? (talk)
- August 2-4: CFI Canada has begun plans to greet colleagues from CFI China!
Friends and Members in the Community
CFIC has some of the most interesting and active, creative and engaged people in the community! Here are some of the activities of our friends and members.
- A long-time friend of CFI Canada, Chris DiCarlo participated in The Zoomer’s (with Conrad Black) discussion regarding the decline of Christianity – airing begin June 15th at 9:00pm (also available on their website).
- September 19 & 20: River City Reasonfest in Manitoba
- October 17-18: Society of Edmonton Atheists is hosting a secular conference
- November 25-27: Canadian Science Policy Centre Conference
Let us know if you have an activity you’d like to share!
Faith-Based Violence and Bigotry
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith based violence and bigotry around the world.
- Canada’s Subcommittee on International Human Rights of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development has issued a press release regarding the situation in Bangladesh
- Iceland has repealed it’s blasphemy law! See the announcement on CFIC’s website
- CFIC republishes Rafida Ahmed Bonya’s Voltaire address to the British Humanist Association
Science and Ethics News
- Mr. Spock, or Douglas Adams? Newly discovered geological features of Pluto are in need of names!
- Thought-controlled robot?
- Why did thousands of ‘little blue herons, roseate spoonbills, snowy egrets, pelicans and other chattering birds’ all decide to leave Florida’s Seahorse Key? All that remains are empty nests and broken eggs.
- $120 million for an embassy for our intergalactic visitors? That’s what the Raelians are proposing.
Wishful Thinking and Superstition
- The consequences of falling vaccination rates; Woman in US dies from measles, first in twelve years.
- The consequences of get-rich-quick schemes (with a healthy dose of gullibility)…The tale of the Magic Cheese
- An audio recording made on November 18, 1978, at the Peoples Temple compound in Jonestown, Guyana immediately preceding and during the mass suicide and murder of over 900 members of the cult. Disturbing, to say the least.
- Albino children are hidden away in an attempt to keep them safe from witch doctors, who claim their body parts, ground up and put in charms, can bring wealth and fortune.
- Russel Wilson, quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, not only talks too God, but has The Almighty talking to him!
- As of Tuesday, it’s tougher to be anti-vax in California, which has set off actor Jim Carrey on a Twitter rampage.
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today
If you have a contribution to the Critical Links E-Newsletter please send us your tip firstname.lastname@example.org!