Critical Links 2015/05/12: CFIC’s Updates and News on Science and Secularism
CFI Canada’s mission is to provide education and training to the public in the application of skeptical, secular, rational and humanistic inquiry through conferences, symposia, lectures, published works and the maintenance of a library.
Letters, Letters, Letters
CFIC Is your voice for issues of science and secularism. Consistent with our mandate to provide training and education in the application of rational inquiry…we inquire when we observe troubling issues or events of secularism and science.
- On May 12, 2015 CFIC issued a letter to Horizon School District of Taber Alberta in response to their recent decision to return to the practice of beginning the school day with recitation of “The Lord’s Prayer“.
- On May 12, 2015 CFIC issued a letter to the Winnipeg School Board and to Manitoba’s Minister of Education regarding the WSB’s recent request to alter the Manitoba School legislation.
Branch News and Updates
- May 6, 2015: the CFI Ottawa hosted Timothy Caulfield in support of his new book Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything? More than 40 people attended. Well done and Congratulations.
- May 14, 2015: the CFI Toronto will host Jarret Ruminski for a talk about Bigfoot at the CFIC Office: 55 Eglinton Avenue East – Suite 307
- May 14, 2015: the CFI Ottawa will be participating in rally events in Ottawa to support the human right of bodily autonomy, defending every person’s right to determine what happens to their own body; this is defence of bodily autonomy and reproductive freedom
Blasphemy News in Canada and the World
- CFIC applauds the Norwegian government for repealing it’s archaic blasphemy law and repeats calls to the Canadian government to do the same.
- Saturday Night Live skit addresses “blasphemy” and fear; the skit reminded CFIC of Eric Adriaans post on Canadian Atheist, asking if another SNL skit violated Canada’s blasphemous libel law
CFIC continues to monitor, document and condemn faith-based violence around the world.
- May 12, 2015: Bangladeshi Blogger Ananta Bijoy Das was murdered for expressing secular perspectives
- May 11, 2015: CFIC National Executive Director discusses the risks and vulnerabilities of people with albinism with Under The Same Sun, a Canadian charity dedicated to assisting people with albinism.
Please support the Centre For Inquiry Canada by joining as a member or donating today!